Monday, April 15, 2013

No TV? 5 million U.S. households bid boob tube goodbye


This article on USA online author Ryan Nakashima wrote, “Some people have had it with TV. They've

had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills


This was me a while back. No I did rip everything out in a fit of rage. I did my homework. I checked out the web sites of the channels that I watched to see if the shows I watched were available. They were and I bookmarked each one. I checked to see what I could get from a regular antenna and the cost of this. It all seemed very reasonable.

We bought an antenna and played with it as far as strength and location. We did make a couple trips returning equipment for the next one up. But we did get great reception on the basic channels. To tell you the truth, the definition was noticeably better than the cable signal we were getting. Then we turned the cable off and sat back to enjoy out new disconnected freedom.

Then something happened that this article totally missed. Some of these channels caught on to what I, and may other people were doing, and they were loosing revenue. After a couple months some of these stations developed a catch. They made you have to enter in your service provider and account information to enter their streaming shows. But wait. I turned all that off. Why would I need to watch it on line if I had cable or dish and could watch it there?

They locked me out of my perfect plan of freedom. They had me where they wanted me, buying another dish plan just so I could watch my show on the web. I’ve had this current set up for about a year now. I still don’t like it. Cost too much to watch 3 or 4 shows that are only on 4 to 5 months of the year. It’s time to think of a new plan. Something the whole family will be happy with. I’m open to your ideas.
• What do you use for “TV” entertainment?
• Does it really work for you?
• Do you have a new idea you’re thinking of trying?

Put it in the comments and let everybody know.

Thanks,
Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment