Friday, April 19, 2013

Tech Firms Push to Hire More Workers From Abroad

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/technology/tech-firms-push-to-hire-more-workers-from-abroad.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&partner=yahoofinance

This article was in the New York Times, Technology section authored by Somini Sengupta.

I have mixed feelings about this topic. Part of me is still saying "Hire American" while part of me feels for these people and their families looking for a fair shake at a better life. I have a few friends who came to the US, live and work here now. They have all become contributing members to their communities and the US in general. Some have even earned and obtained US citizenship.

Mike Buetow wrote "H-1B Free?" in Hot Wire http://circuitsassembly.com/blog/?p=3624, a Circuit Assembly blog, on this topic. Some of his concerns are the same as mine.

One of the statements in NY Times article says, "Unemployment in the technology industry hovers below 4 percent, far less than the national average." They don't say where this number came from. I question the overall accuracy of this number. I've known people from differnet tech fields who were out of work for so long they've change career paths to something totally unrelated.

I don't remember which article I read this in, but there is significant concern that the H-1B is paid far less than the equivalent US citizen. This is neither fair to folks here or the people looking for a better life. They both loose.

I'd like to hear from some folks from both sides of this discussion. What do you think? Just keep if civil and professional.

Thanks,
Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment